After a train derailment earlier this month, the MBTA said it initially expected signal repairs to take about a year, but it has since accelerated its repair schedule.
– News from elsewhere covered by Quincy Quarry News with commentary added.
MBTA says Red Line recovery work will continue ‘through the summer …”
The summer of what calendar year, however, was not noted.
Red Line repair work is expected to continue “through (at least, ed.) the summer,” with a focus on restoring the signal system equipment that was damaged when a train derailed, the MBTA announced on Friday in advance of the all but invariably slow weekend news cycle.
When the train derailed at the JFK/UMass Station early on June 11, unprotected structures located right next to Red LIne tracks that contained critical signal and train control equipment and the equipment were destroyed.
As such, while the signal and control system is undergoing repairs, MBTA employees will have to physically direct Red Line trains and so slow slowing maximum train capacity from a maximum of fourteen trains per hour down to no more than ten.
Ironically, the damaged ancient as well as obsolescent control equipment is slated to be replaced in coming years as new Red Line trains are rolled into operation, both of which have been touted will make it possible to greatly increase train frequency and so significantly increase passenger capacity on the long overburden Red Line subway line.
In the meanwhile, however, Red Line strap hangers should continue to allow for extra travel time while repairs are underway..
“While we recognize anything but full service falls short of our customers’ expectations, our current recovery schedule reflects the MBTA’s urgent approach to the massive task of returning the Red Line to full service,” MBTA General Manager Steve Poftak said in the statement.
“As recovery efforts continue, I want to thank the MBTA workforce for their urgency and professionalism, and I want our customers to know that we deeply appreciate their patience,” Potlack added.
The derailment‘s cause remains under investigation, the MBTA says.
However, the T has already ruled out operator error, foul play and track infrastructure as possible causes of the derailment.
The agency says it has also inspected all vehicles of the same type involved in the derailment “out of an abundance of caution,”
After all, at this point some sort of catastrophic equipment failure with the derailed train is about the only remaining possible cause of the derailment.
Fortunately, able inspectors from the National Transit Safety Administration are now driving the train and blowing the whistle on the investigation.
Given the inconvenience inflicted up Red Line riders, Boston Mayor Marty Walsh has asked the MBTA to delay planned fare hikes until the Red Line returns to its usual level of (still problematic, ed.) service.
In response, however, MBTA officials have (so far, ed.) declined to do so.
Regardless, MBTA riders should plan on a long and hot summer.